PRINCE EDWARD ISLAND
- Tugboat captains, the Batts, had hard luck with their homes. They were burnt out on nearby Lord's Wharf and had just built a new house on this site when they were burnt out again in the fire of 1857. They built yet again the next year and finally their persistence was rewarded, for the house stands to this day. Now Cross Queen Street.
- James Peake, shipbuilder, merchant, banker and Assemblyman, did business in this wooden building on the corner of Queen and Water Streets from 1828 until 1856-57 when he built in brick on the same site. The building was constructed in three divisions or apartments, as they were called, two of which housed stores and the third was occupied by the Bank of Prince Edward Island, the only bank in the province at that time.
- By 1862 the Carvell Brothers were operating a wholesale business from the site and in 1868 they took over the corner space formerly rented by the bank. The Carvells continued at this location until 1976 when the property was acquired and restored.
- The Honourable James Ellis Peake built this elegant brick house in 1835-36 near his stores and wharves and with a view of the harbour where his ships came in. Built of Island bricks, it is a symmetrical building topped at a later date with a rounded dormer. The Peake family operated an extensive shipbuilding trade between Plymouth, England, and Prince Edward Island.
- Built by James Reilly in 1821, this building once housed a school and was the "Queen's Head" Hotel.
- Merchant and Member of the Legislative Assembly, the Hon. W.W. Lord, built this home in 1863 overlooking the water and his own wharf.
- Built by the trustees of the Owen Connolly estate in 1890 from plans by W.C. Harris, this was named after the Dundas Esplanade on its west side. While you're here take a minute to walk on the current version of the esplanade. The Charlottetown boardwalk provides some nice views of the harbour. Then come back and continue along Haviland Street.
- After the Great Fire of 1866, Esther Lowden built this home and occupied it until her death in 1896 when it became the American Consulate and then the Officers' Club.
- Originally a barrel-making factory and moved to this location, the porches and balconies were added during renovations by Owen Connolly in 1887.