PRINCE EDWARD ISLAND
- Andrew Duncan, a shipbuilder, bought the property in 1844 and built the house shortly afterwards. A few years later he returned to England and his brother James became the owner. It was the Duncan family home until 1879. During those years the Duncan wharves and shipyards were located south of the house. the largest ship ever built on Prince Edward Island, the Ethel, 1690 tons, was built and launched here in 1858.
- Brick was a material John Morris evidently liked for he is credited with having built Charlottetown's first brick house in 1823. Nearly 50 years later in 1870, Brick Morris, as he was known, built this substantial home. It was named after Lady Harland, wife of the president of the famous shipping firm, Harland and Wolfe of Belfast, Ireland. Lady Harland was a relative of the Morris family.
- By 1900 builders and architects had rejected the late Victorian curves, towers and peaks and had turned once again to the classical idiom. Mr. Richard Grant's 1902 house, with its hip roof and large square solidity, was an impressive example of the new design. Its location, too, was significant, on the waterfront and close to the all-important railway.
- Take a break here and wander down to Peake's Wharf. Enjoy the view (33k) from one of the restaurants, shop or relax in the new Confederation Landing Park. An eagle's view of the area shows the Prince Edward Hotel, Peakes Wharf, the Park and the central part of the city where much of this tour takes place.
- From 1847 until 1873 the Islander newspaper was published here by John Ings and in the late 1870s , it was the home of the Examiner.
- One of the oldest brick houses in Charlottetown, this tenement was built by Elizabeth and John Gainsford in 1833. It is of Island made bricks laid in Flemish bond, an interlocking pattern that produces strong walls. In 1857 when the rest of the block was razed, the house was saved from burning "by extraordinary exertions and constant application of wet sheets and blankets to the roof". How happy Mrs. Gainsford must have been that they had built in brick and how sorry she must have been to lose her precious blankets!
- The fire of 1857 destroyed the residence of Mr. Robert Longworth. In 1858 he built this fine, two storey clapboard covered dwelling. Note the fanlight with the sunray motif. The Benoit family were later owners and occupants.
- The Merchants Bank of Prince Edward Island began business in its newly built brick banking house in November 8, 1871. The flat roof, windows grouped together under one heading, and ornamental brick work under the roof line are characteristic details of the period.
- Daniel Hodgson, coroner, built this brick warehouse in 1859-60 and rented it to the Customs Department as a Bonded Warehouse. The strong iron shutters were doubtless a deterrent to those who envied and perhaps thirsted after the contents held in bond.