PRINCE EDWARD ISLAND
- The soaring spires of St. Dunstans Basilica grace the Charlottetown skyline. The Basilica is the fourth Roman Catholic church to be built on this site since the first chapel was built in 1816. Finished in 1919, the twin spires soar to a height of almost 62 M (200 ft). Built of Nova Scotia stone, the interior has marble columns and vaulted ceilings which were finished under the guidance of artists from Paris, New York and Chicago. The exterior of the Basilica is now undergoing restoration.
- This large stone building was erected between 1872-75 as an Episcopal residence for the Roman Catholic Bishop Peter McIntyre. It was claimed to be "the most handsome mansion in the Lower Provinces". A north wing was added in 1914 and the balcony in 1920.
- After eleven years in operation, the Bank of Prince Edward Island felt the need for new and larger premises suitable to its importance in the community. This impressive brick structure was built in 1868. The Bank was later acquired by the Bank of Nova Scotia.
- Turn left here and proceed down King Street.
- James McGregor, carpenter, bought this land in 1850 and ten years later sold it to tobacco merchant George F.C. Lowden. Presumably the sale included a house erected by McGregor. In any event the Lake map of 1863 shows a house here with the proportions of this one. It is a good example of a one and one-half storey house with the gable end towards the street.
- Local tradition links land-surveyor Henry Cundall's 1868 house with thwarted love. Henry was said to have been rejected by the parents of his lady love because he was not wealthy and the lady is supposed, in the best Victorian tradition, to have gone into a decline and died.
- The two storey building has four parapeted gable chimneys and the front and back slopes of the roof meet in a flat ridge on top. Note that the front wall is recessed by a protruding layer of brick around the outside which acts as a frame does on a painting.
- The Samuel Street house is the oldest one in the vicinity. Samuel Street, a mariner, bought the land in 1799 and while it is not known how soon after the land acquisition the house was built, it was here when Charlottetown was surveyed in 1833. Samuel drowned in 1842 and his widow and seven children managed to retain the property until the late 1880s. Two of the daughters operated the Pavilion Hotel.
- This obviously altered house on lot 54 in the first hundred of town lots was built by Benjamin Chappell, the younger, just after 1855. It was rented by Mrs. Catherine MacLennan who purchased it upon Chappell's death in 1861.