PRINCE EDWARD ISLAND
- Welcome to Charlottetown. What better place to start our tour than on the steps of Province House. Located in Queen Square, the cornerstone was laid in May 1843 and since January 1847, Province House has been the seat of Island government. The building is famous as the site of the 1864 meeting on Confederation of the British North America Colonies. It was that meeting which lead to the Confederation of Canada in 1867. The City of Charlottetown is proud to be known as the Birthplace of Canada.
- Just to the east of Province House is the Hon. George Coles Building. The building was completed in 1876 and housed the law courts for 100 years. In 1976 a dreadful fire raged through the building which caused the law courts to be moved to Water Street. Fortunately, the building was not destroyed and after restoration now houses government offices and the Public Archives of the Island.
- Now cross the street and head south along Great George Street.
- Thomas Alley was the architect of the Union Bank Building erected in 1872. The roof is the French Mansard type and the round headed windows suggest the Italian influence which swept the country. Imported bricks were used on the front and north sides which face the streets and Island made bricks were used on the less visible south and rear sides. The Union Bank amalgamated with the Bank of Nova Scotia in 1883.
- The sumptuous home of Edmund Fanning, Lieutenant-Governor from 1785 to 1805, once stood here. The building was destroyed by fire in 1855 and the property was divided into smaller lots. The Heartz home was erected in 1858-59 and other row houses owned by the O'Halloran family were constructed in 1865 and 1879. The Heartz-O'Halloran buildings were also damaged by fire and have been restored.
- The Wellington Hotel was the centre of social life in Charlottetown during the 1820-1850 period and was a popular meeting place for Members when the Legislature was in session. The "evening sessions" were commonly known as Howell's Parliament. Rum, Gin and brandy punch were the usual accompaniments of the sessions which lasted far into the night.
- The gentlemen of the town gave a dinner for arriving Lieutenant-Governor Ready in 1824. Crowds surrounded the hotel and heard a bagpiper and band as well as a salute fired from three twelve pounders drawn there for the occasion.
- The building is in the Georgian tradition with a hip roof and five windows across the front. The original windows have been replaced by larger ones.
- This home was built between 1855 and 1863 when Mrs. Coombs advertised hand made candles for sale at her residence. The three part dormer window is original to the structure and helps to date it as does the harsh, bright blue wallpaper, popular about 1855. The building has been renovated and the wallpaper doesn't show anymore.
- Once the home of John Carroll, a tavern keeper, this building was erected before 1863. Mr. Carroll applied for a licence to operate a tavern here in 1872 but was turned down.
- Hugh Perkins, cordwainer (shoe maker) bought the land in 1843 and immediately began to build his five bay, gable roofed home; the second home to be built on the block. The Perkins House has been a private house and a boarding house over the years and now houses offices.