The 60 foot round brick lighthouse is located on Route 209 a few minutes from the Wood Islands ferry and is just off the Trans Canada Highway in Point Prim. The lighthouse is the Island's oldest and was designed and built in 1845 by Isaac Smith, the same architect who designed Province House in Charlottetown. The stairs leading to the top of the lighthouse are steep and narrow but is well worth the effort.
The grounds are well maintained and offer a great place
to rest or picnic while providing a beautiful view of the Northumberland
Strait. The old Irish moss drying shed located near the lighthouse
entrance now houses a restaurant, craft shop and art gallery. The
surrounding area is mostly farm and cottage land but also offers some
antique and art shops.