Prince Edward Island Virtual Tour

Km 45.1: Mile 28.8:
In Abram-Village, route 11 turns left toward Enmore. Named for Abraham Arsenault, the first settler in Lot 15. Mr. Arsenault may have come from Colonel Compton's lands in lots 17 and 19 following a dispute. This house, covered in vines and surrounded by flowers and trees is in Abram-Village. The mailbox out front is itself a landmark and there is no mistaking who lives there.

A short distance north at Baie-Egmont, a painted plough points toward some "villas" on the shore. The road turns inland toward fields and forests at Higgins Road.

Km 58: Mile 36.3:
Victoria West with its modest Anglican Church seems to mark the end of the Acadian region. Perched on the banks of a small river which flows into Egmont Bay, Victoria West, like most places on the Island, derives its sense of community from a gathering of farms rather than an active townsite.

Km 63.9: Mile 40:
At Enmore, enjoy a glimpse of fields by a small bay and a farm. Here the road turns inland toward Mt. Pleasant. Hardly a "mount", the land here is only slightly higher and drier than much of the surrounding area. The name, Mt. Pleasant, was selected at a public meeting in 1862 because of "the mutual concord and aggreableness of the inhabitants with each other".

Here at km 66 (mile 41.2) we rejoin route 2 and turn left toward Portage. For the next 18 kms (11.3 miles) the land is very low and boggy. There are few side roads. Some of the sites along the way are a private bird sanctuary, a gas station, the West Prince Visitor Information Centre and a side road to Alaska.

Km 84.2: Mile 52.6:
At Carleton turn left on route 14. If you want to take a walk or try some fishing, proceed straight ahead across the bridge to the Trout River Enhancement Project. Sponsored by the O'leary Wildlife Federation, the Island Nature Trust and other organizations, the project has enhanced the fish habitat, developed walking trails and protected the riparian environment. After your walk, proceed through Coleman.

Km 88.9: Mile 55.6:
The road takes a sharp turn at Brae (Scottish for "hillside").

The road passes by a number of communities where early settlers were fond of name changes. Coleman was formerly Brae Station; Hebron was formerly Indian Point and Milburn was formerly Little Pierre Jacques on Little Pierre Jacques River. The origin of the name Milo is unknown. Derby was chosen at a public meeting on March 20, 1869 to honour Edward George Geoffrey Smith Stanley, 14th Earl of Derby. Derby was formerly Brae East.

Km 100.9: Mile 63.1:
At Glenwood (formerly Pierre Jacques), the road takes a sharp left. On the right is the Glenwood pond and fish ladder

Km 106.6: Mile 66.6:
At West Point, you must stop in at the West Point Lighthouse. This is the only fully operational lighthouse in Canada which also operates as an inn, museum and restaurant. The view from the top is terrific, with a sandy beach stretching off in both directions. There are rooms in the lighthouse tower itself and the Inn is managed by the great-granddaughter of the original light-keeper.